Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Sad but true

My mom just sent me a newspaper from my home town (as she often does) with things of interest, i.e., Michelle/Dalton engagement announcement, a feature on my XC buddy Lance who was an extra in a film.

And in the upper corner was the tag-line of “‘BrokeBack Mountain’ up for Oscars” which she had X-d over and written in pen beside: “what an insult.”

Given, I am not out to Christian-conservative parents (which is something I feel an increasing need to fix), so I know my mom didn't mean to hurt me, but this simple act made me really sad.

I love my mother very much (Hello! I *am* a cancer.), and I know exactly what she would say if I confronted her. Something about how BBM is offensive to the 99.99% of straight cowboys (which is probably true, lol).

And that is exactly the problem. Whenever the general entity called “Hollywood” does anything depicting a minority group, anyone who sees the movie assumes that it is a generalization of all, fill in the blank__: gays, blacks, transvestites, vampires, etc.

There are some parts to BBM that I find very saddening (notice I don’t use the word “offensive”)—basically the storyline that involves men that cheat on their wives. That is not ok; I don’t care how much society has “oppressed” anyone.

But because the movie depicts infidelity is not why my mother has such contempt for the movie, because I bet you 500 million dollars she hasn’t seen it, and probably never will. And I don’t feel the need to defend something from a defamer that is poorly informed.

9 comments:

Ms Bees Knees said...

wait. she doesn't know her son is a "godless homosexual"? seriously though, she can't tell?? how is that possible? you're so GAY! as alexis once said: if you were any more of a flamer you'd spontaneously combust, or something like that.

i love your gay ass. love mama bees

Ed Grow said...

Bees-

Very fuckin' funny. The last time I checked, I did not pose in front of a huge golden penis statue. [Cough, Cough, Alexis!] So there will be many 'a spankin tonight, to punish both of you for being adequately sassy. Love.

amanda said...

you sure this isn't just her repressed, Lutheran way of saying "are you a homo?" by gauging your reaction to her blind prejudice?

"the" Mrs. Astor said...

Pul-leeeze! Bees, stop sassing poor Ed when he's being all serious and sincere.

Ed, and just WHAT is wrong with posing in front of a "huge golden penis statue"? I did it for you (cough, cough).

"the" Mrs. Astor said...

Oh, and why do you have to drag the good name of vampires into this mess?

Oh, if I wasn't engaged....

Ed Grow said...

Mands-

Play nice with others. That is my command. Love.

Alexis-

If you weren't engaged, maybe we would have a legendary tussle in the street that would muss you good frock. How sad. Love.

Garet said...

"Play nice with others" sounds a lot like "Love thy neighbor."

robyn said...

but with out the jesus....

Ed Grow said...

Garet-

Haha! "play nice" means get along, "love thy neighbor" is some ridiculous Christian rhetoric that hypocrites say in the same breath after they gay bash.

Robyn-

I love my baby Robyn!